UNION COUNTY — A visit by a gubernatorial candidate and the election of party officers, state convention delegates and alternates were on the agenda at the recent Union County Democratic Convention.
The convention was held Monday, March 10, at the Union County Courthouse. The special guest was State Sen. Vincent Sheheen who is seeking the Democratic nomination for governor.
During the convention, Democrats elected their party officers including:
• Ted Trantham — Chair
• John Hill — 1st Vice-Chair
• Ann Stevens — 2nd Vice-Chair
• Derrick Means — 3rd Vice-Chair
• Shirley Gist — Secretary
• Melanie Lawson — Treasurer
• Mickey Gist — Executive Committeeman
• Ruby Jones — Executive Committeewoman
• Frank M. Hart — 1st Alternate Committeeperson
• Rachel Miller — 2nd Alternate Committeeperson
• John A. Gist — Voter Protection Chair
Elected as State Convention Committee Members were Stevens (Rules and Credentials) and Gist (Platform and Resolutions).
Fourteen delegates and 14 alternates to the state convention were also elected.
The officers, delegates and alternates were elected for 2014-2016.
Stevens, who had served as party chair, extended a special thanks to everyone for their support for the past six years.
The next meeting of the Union County Democratic Party will be held, Monday, March 24 at 6 p.m. at the Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter Street. The meeting is open to the public.