Wednesday, Oct. 23
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board of Directors meets at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry St. Lunch will be provided.
Thursday, Oct. 24
• A reception for the “Harvest Moon Musings-variations on a theme” exhibit will be held from 5-7 p.m. at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. This moon-themed evening will feature writing, music, art and food in an intimate setting. The public is invited to attend this unique event. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The BPO DOES will have their annual Chinese Auction at the Union BPO Elks Lodge. Doors open at 6 p.m. and drawing for prizes will begin at 7 p.m. The Elks will have food for sale in the dining room prior to the auction.
Saturday, Oct. 26
• A large yard sale will be held at 8 a.m. in front of Medi Home Hospice. All money will go for a veterans dinner.
• The Union High School Class of 1978 holds its 35-year reunion from 6 p.m.-until at the Veterans Park Lodget. The contact for the reunion is on Facebook at UHS Class of 1978 Class Reunion.
• The Union High School Class of 1993 holds its 20th reunion at 7 p.m. at River Chase Golf Club. Contact Mary Martin at email@example.com or 919-986-0163 for more details.
Wednesday, Oct. 30
• Sims Middle School will host a “Dias Los Muertos” Family Night from 5:30-7 p.m. in the Sims Library. Sims students and their families are encouraged to bring photos of loved ones (including pets) who have passed away. Be prepared to share stories about your deceased relatives and pets, enjoy delicious refreshments and make Day of the Dead Masks to take home with you. Call 429-1755 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Saturday, Nov. 2
• Mary B. Thomas Girls Youth Circle Unit #16 hosting its first Career Day from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Foster’s Chapel Baptist Church, 805 Spartanburg Highway, Jonesville. We will be hosting many career-minded and retired people to share the importance that education has on the future. Come out and enjoy the fun. Light refreshments will be served. Together we can make a difference.
Sunday, Nov. 3
• Sims High School Class of 1966 meets at 6 p.m. at the City of Union Municipal Building.
Tuesday, Nov. 5
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 7 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Classroom. All interested in beekeeping are invited to attend. If you have questions, please can call Jim Stevens at 426-4344 or Bart Woodard at 429-1388.
Saturday, Nov. 30
• The Lukesville Community Care Club will once again sponsor it’s annual trip to Salley, S.C. Trip details can be obtained by calling Melissa Brown at 426-8864 or Bennie Kershaw at 466-7302
• “Painting With Coffee” meets from 10-a.m.-12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium may attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• “A Path of Discovery with Watercolor” – New works by Union watercolorist Betsy Skipper are on display at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. Show runs through Aug. 9.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
• The Union County Arts Council’s 2013 Juried Art Show Exhibit is currently on display in the Main Building at USC-Union. The show will be available for viewing during USC-Union’s normal hours of operation and will run through Oct. 25. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union County Arts Council will be showing a new show, “Harvest Moon Musings — variations on a theme,” that will run from Oct. 7 through Nov. 1. The show will feature paintings by the Union County Arts Council’s Artists’ Guild, music by members of the “Monday Night Music” group and writing by various Union writers. Every aspect of the show will be moon-themed. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.