Friday, April 11-Sunday, April 13
• The Spartanburg Chapter of the Morris College National Alumni Association (MCNAA) hosts the 2014 Alumni Weekend at the Spartanburg Marriott Hotel. The weekend schedule is filled with opportunities to renew friendships, network and celebrate with classmates and friends. In addition to MCNAA awardees, chapters and alumni celebrating 50 or more years as an alumnus, we will recognize classes ending in ‘4 and ‘9, and Greek Letter Organizations. For additional information, contact Barbara R. Jackson (MCNAA President) at 803-316-5879 or visit www.morris.edu.
Saturday, April 12
• Blue Ridge Hospice holds “Family Fun Day” from noon-6 p.m. There will be hot dogs, a silent auction, singing, etc. All proceeds will go to Relay For Life.
• The Union High School Class of 1984 meets at St. Paul’s Baptist Church at 2 p.m. for a planning meeting for the 30th class reunion. Anyone with questions can call Angela Talley Robinson at 864-415-4531.
Monday, April 14
• The Bell South Pioneers meets at Andy’s at noon.
• The Town of Lockhart holds an application review public hearing at the Lockhart Town Hall, 118 Mill St., Lockhart at noon to review a Community Development Block Grant Application that will be submitted to SC Department of Commerce, Grants Administration on Monday, April 14. The Town of Lockhart is requesting funds for the Lockhart Sewer Upgrade Project. Call the Town of Lockhart at 864-545-2103 if you have any questions concerning this public hearing. Please call Mayor Ailene Ashe at 864-545-2103 if you require special accommodations. A 72-hour notice is needed.
• Union American Legion Post 22 holds its monthly meeting beginning with a meal at 6 p.m., followed by a speaker at 6:30 p.m., and the business meeting at 7 p.m. The meeting will be held in its regular location, the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Foster Park. Post 22 meets on the second Monday evening of every month except July, and prospective members are always welcome to attend.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. at Sims Middle School.
Tuesday, April 15
• The Woodmen of the World meet at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park.
Thursday, April 17
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at Andy’s at 1:30 p.m.
• Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 644 meets at 6:30 p.m., but the business meeting will not commence until 7 p.m. Members are asked to attend if at all possible, as the annual election of officers takes place at the April meeting. The meeting willl be held at its usual location: The Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Foster Park, Union. The VVA meets there on the third Thursday of each month, and Vietnam Era veterans interested in becoming members are always welcome as guests.
Friday, April 18
• The Wallace Thomson Volunteers will be holding their annual Spring Bake Sale in the hospital lobby beginning at 7 am. Money raised will go toward the adult volunteer scholarship fund.
Monday, April 21
• The Bonham FCL meets at the Clemson Extension Building at 11 a.m.
Monday, April 21-Tuesday, April 22
• The Wallace Thomson Hospital Volunteers will have a Book & Gift Sale in the hospital lobby on Monday, April 21 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. and Tuesday, April 22 from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Come find great gifts and books at affordable prices.
Saturday, April 26
• Dollar General hosts a Basketball Tournament with proceeds going to Relay For Life.
Monday, April 28
• The Union County Democratic Party monthly meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Union Housing Authority, 201 Porter St. The meeting is open to the public.
Saturday, May 3
• Junior Charity League is having another 5K at Timken Sports Complex. Registration is at 7:30 a.m. The race begins: 8:30 a.m. Registration forms can be picked up at YMCA and the Holcombe Funeral Home. For more information contact Sarah Holcombe at 426-6539.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.