Thursday, July 31
• Union County Council holds a special meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the Conference Room at the Union County Annex for a presentation from Bob Love, update on airport projects, approval to purchase vehicles, discuss a personnel issue and other matters. The public is invited to attend.
Sunday, Aug. 3
• The Sinclair Reunion will be held at 1 p.m. at Fairview Church. Being a well-filled basket. Plates, cups, and utensils will be provided.
• The Sims High School Class of 1965 meets at the old Jonesville High School at 6 p.m. All classmates are asked to be present.
Monday, Aug. 4
• The Union County First Steps Partnership Board holds its regular meeting at 5:15 p.m. at the Union County Advanced Technology Center located at 1401 Furman Fendley Highway in Union. The public is invited to attend. Anyone wishing to attend that requires special assistance due to a disability is encouraged to contact Ms. Beth Thompson, Executive Director at 864-429-1740 ext 134 prior to the start of the meeting.
Monday, Aug. 4, Wednesday, Aug. 6, and Thursday, Aug. 7
• Sims Middle School hosts girls volleyball tryouts from 3:30-5 p.m. Girls interested in trying out should be at these tryouts. Please bring a current physical to practice. Girls without a physical may not practice. Girls should wear shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes. For more information, contact Coach Tracy Duncan at Sims Middle School by calling 864-429-1755 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, Aug. 5
• The Union County Beekeepers Association meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds. Light refreshments are served at 6:30 p.m. and the program begins at 7 p.m. Brad Cavin, State Apiary Inspector, will be guest speaker. Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend. Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Thursday, Aug. 7
• The Union County Arts Council holds “Jam With Lunch” from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. This acoustic jam session is open to all musicians playing any genre of music. There will also be seating available for anyone wishing to stop by to listen. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
• The Union Lions Club and the Friends of the Library will have a Broom & Book Sale from 2-6 p.m. at the Lions Building on Main Street. The Friends will also be collecting books that day.
Saturday, Aug. 9
• The Sims cheerleaders will host a car wash/yard sale from 9 a.m.-noon at Union County Stadium.
• Broad River Electric Charities and Trans-South Wrestling will present “The Brawl at Broad River Electric” beginning at 8 p.m. in the Broad River Electric Auditorium, 811 Hamrick Street, Gaffney. Proceeds will benefit middle school students in Cherokee, Union and Spartanburg counties. Headline wrestlers include “American Wolf” Davey Richards, “Rock & Roll” Ricky Morton, The Stro, Tessa Blanchard, Chasity Taylor, George South and more. Get advance tickets online at BrawlatBRE.eventbrite.com. Tickets will also be available at the door. Visit facebook.com/transsouthwrestling for more information.
Sunday, Aug. 10
• The Union County Arts Council will hold a reception for “The Artist Collects.” This show features works from the private art collection of Dr. Susanne Floyd Gunter. Dr. Gunter will lecture on the finer points of starting your own art collection … on a budget. The reception will be from 2-4 p.m. at the Arts Council gallery on Main Street in Union. Refreshments will be served. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Sims High School Class of 1964 holds a 50th class reunion meeting at 5 p..m. the City of Union Municipal Building on Enterprise Street. John H. Jeter, President.
Tuesday, Aug. 12
• The Union County Arts Council’s Writers’ Group will meet from 6-8 p.m. at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. All established and beginning writers, along with anyone just curious about writing, are invited to attend. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
Friday, Sept. 5-Saturday, Sept. 6
• The Sims High School Reunion and Village Children sponsors a trip to New Orleans. The trip will be two nights and a day with two guests per room. Participants will stay in a five star hotel and ride in a first class tour bus. For reservations call 803-924-9069.
Saturday, Sept. 13
• The Carlisle Finishing Retirement Group meets at 9 a.m. at Midway for breakfast. The Childers Group will entertain. All retirees and former employees are welcome. For more information call 466-5276.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email email@example.com.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.