Electrical fire damages house


Blaze causes $17,000 worth of damage

By Charles Warner - cwarner@civitasmedia.com



Charles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 102 Abrams Street was damaged by fire Thursday morning. The fire began in an adjacent laundry room and spread into the kitchen through a wall and into the ceiling. Damage to the structure was estimated at $17,000.


Charles Warner | The Union Times A fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abram Street Thursday morning began in a laundry room but spread through the ceiling as well as into a kitchen. The damage caused by the fire has forced the residents of the house to stay with neighbors and family members.


Charles Warner | The Union Times This TV was one of the many household items damaged by a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning. Firefighters from the City of Union Public Safety Department were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not flare back up.


Charles Warner | The Union Times This laundry room was where a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning began. The fire began at an electric socket and spread into the adjacent kitchen.


Charles Warner | The Union Times This is where a fire that began in the laundry room of a house at 102 Abrams Street began spreading into the adjacent kitchen. Before it was extinguished the fire would spread into the ceiling and the eaves of the building. The blazed caused $17,000 worth of damage.


Charles Warner | The Union Times This socket was burned by an electrical fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abrams Street Thursday morning. The fire began in a laundry room and then spread through the socket into the wall and into the kitchen and then into the ceiling and eaves of the building. City of Union firefighters were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze.


UNION — Residents of a house on Abrams Street are now staying with neighbors and family members after an electrical fire that started in their laundry room and spread into their kitchen drove them from their home.

An incident report filed by the Union Public Safety Department states that firefighters were dispatched at 9:27 a.m. Thursday to 102 Abrams Street in response to a report of a structure fire. Three fire engines were dispatched to the scene where firefighters began working to minimize further damage to the building.

The report states that when they arrived firefighters saw smoke coming from the eaves on the side of the house. It states they immediately began working to extinguish the blaze. After extinguishing the blaze, the report states firefighters then proceeded to check the ceiling area for hidden fires that could react with the insulation and cause more damage. It further states that firefighters remained there for nearly an hour before clearing the scene at 10:16 p.m. and returning to the station.

According to the report the fire began in the utility room in the area of the dryer causing an electrical short. The fire then spread through the wall into the adjacent kitchen and through the ceiling into the eaves of the house.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $17,000.

One of the residents of the house was Benny Thomas who said that he and his two sisters and a niece were home when the fire started.

“It started in the laundry room and came back through the wall into the kitchen,” Thomas said Tuesday morning. “We were watching TV when the smoke alarm went off. I went into the kitchen and fire was shooting through the wall.”

Thomas said he told his sisters to call the fire department. He said that while the fire department did put out the fire, he and his family can’t live in the house because of the damage.

“Everything is messed up in there,” Thomas said.

Thomas said he is currently staying with a neighbor while his sisters and niece are staying with family members.

In a statement released Thursday, the American Red Cross announced that it had provided assistance to the residents of the house on Abrams Street in the form of financial assistance for temporary lodging, replacement of food and clothing, along with comfort kits containing personal hygiene items.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 102 Abrams Street was damaged by fire Thursday morning. The fire began in an adjacent laundry room and spread into the kitchen through a wall and into the ceiling. Damage to the structure was estimated at $17,000.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0008.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 102 Abrams Street was damaged by fire Thursday morning. The fire began in an adjacent laundry room and spread into the kitchen through a wall and into the ceiling. Damage to the structure was estimated at $17,000.

Charles Warner | The Union Times A fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abram Street Thursday morning began in a laundry room but spread through the ceiling as well as into a kitchen. The damage caused by the fire has forced the residents of the house to stay with neighbors and family members.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0006.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times A fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abram Street Thursday morning began in a laundry room but spread through the ceiling as well as into a kitchen. The damage caused by the fire has forced the residents of the house to stay with neighbors and family members.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This TV was one of the many household items damaged by a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning. Firefighters from the City of Union Public Safety Department were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not flare back up.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0009.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This TV was one of the many household items damaged by a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning. Firefighters from the City of Union Public Safety Department were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze and making sure it did not flare back up.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This laundry room was where a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning began. The fire began at an electric socket and spread into the adjacent kitchen.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0002a.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This laundry room was where a fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 107 Abrams Street Thursday morning began. The fire began at an electric socket and spread into the adjacent kitchen.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This is where a fire that began in the laundry room of a house at 102 Abrams Street began spreading into the adjacent kitchen. Before it was extinguished the fire would spread into the ceiling and the eaves of the building. The blazed caused $17,000 worth of damage.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0004.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This is where a fire that began in the laundry room of a house at 102 Abrams Street began spreading into the adjacent kitchen. Before it was extinguished the fire would spread into the ceiling and the eaves of the building. The blazed caused $17,000 worth of damage.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This socket was burned by an electrical fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abrams Street Thursday morning. The fire began in a laundry room and then spread through the socket into the wall and into the kitchen and then into the ceiling and eaves of the building. City of Union firefighters were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/web1_IMG_0003-1.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This socket was burned by an electrical fire that caused $17,000 worth of damage to a house at 102 Abrams Street Thursday morning. The fire began in a laundry room and then spread through the socket into the wall and into the kitchen and then into the ceiling and eaves of the building. City of Union firefighters were on the scene for nearly an hour extinguishing the blaze.
Blaze causes $17,000 worth of damage

By Charles Warner

cwarner@civitasmedia.com

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090.

comments powered by Disqus