Grease fire leaves family homeless


Firefighter suffers minor injury battling blaze

By Charles Warner - cwarner@civitasmedia.com



Charles Warner | The Union Times This siding underneath the ceiling of the front porch of house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union was damaged Saturday by a fire that left the house unlivable according to the American Red Cross. The family that was living in the house at the time of the fire managed to escape unharmed but lost their home and many of their possessions. The blaze was extinguished by the Union Public Safety Department over the course of nearly two hours.


Charles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union, was destroyed by a blaze that began when cooking grease got too hot and caught a pan on fire. While everyone in the house made it out safely, the house was made unlivable by the fire according to the American Red Cross which is assisting the victims. A firefighter with the Union Public Safety Department suffered a cut to his arm battling the blaze.


UNION — Cooking grease that got too hot resulted in a fire that left a Union family homeless and caused one firefighter to suffer a minor injury battling the blaze.

Union Public Safety Director Sam White said Monday that the fire occurred early Saturday afternoon in a house at 113 Lybrand Street. White said that the victim told him that she’d been in the kitchen cooking on the stove when the grease she was using got too hot and the pan caught fire. He said that the fire soon spread throughout the kitchen destroying it and leaving the rest of the house essentially unlivable.

Union firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 2:41 p.m. and would remain on the scene until 4 p.m. White said that during that time a firefighter attempting to stick a fire hose in through a window was cut by a pane of glass. He said the firefighter suffered a cut to his arm which required stitches but was otherwise unharmed.

White said that no other firefighters were injured battling the blaze and that the people inside the building were able to get out safely.

American Red Cross

Shortly after the fire, the American Red Cross dispatched personnel to assist the family who lost their home to the fire.

In a statement released Saturday afternoon, the Red Cross stated that its “disaster-trained volunteers … met the immediate needs of the fire victims by providing financial assistance for temporary lodging and for replacement of food and clothing, along with comfort kits, containing personal hygiene items.”

The press release further states that, “in South Carolina, the American Red Cross, on average, responds to a disaster every four hours. The Palmetto South Carolina Region assists over 7,100 individuals people a year, 2,000 of them children, affected by disasters, the majority of those being home fires.”

To help neighbors who have been affected by home fires, as well as other disasters, become a Red Cross volunteer or make a financial contribution by calling 864-583-8000 or visiting www.redcross.org/SC.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This siding underneath the ceiling of the front porch of house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union was damaged Saturday by a fire that left the house unlivable according to the American Red Cross. The family that was living in the house at the time of the fire managed to escape unharmed but lost their home and many of their possessions. The blaze was extinguished by the Union Public Safety Department over the course of nearly two hours.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_House-Fire-2.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This siding underneath the ceiling of the front porch of house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union was damaged Saturday by a fire that left the house unlivable according to the American Red Cross. The family that was living in the house at the time of the fire managed to escape unharmed but lost their home and many of their possessions. The blaze was extinguished by the Union Public Safety Department over the course of nearly two hours.

Charles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union, was destroyed by a blaze that began when cooking grease got too hot and caught a pan on fire. While everyone in the house made it out safely, the house was made unlivable by the fire according to the American Red Cross which is assisting the victims. A firefighter with the Union Public Safety Department suffered a cut to his arm battling the blaze.
http://uniondailytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_House-Fire.jpgCharles Warner | The Union Times This kitchen in a house at 113 Lybrand Street, Union, was destroyed by a blaze that began when cooking grease got too hot and caught a pan on fire. While everyone in the house made it out safely, the house was made unlivable by the fire according to the American Red Cross which is assisting the victims. A firefighter with the Union Public Safety Department suffered a cut to his arm battling the blaze.
Firefighter suffers minor injury battling blaze

By Charles Warner

cwarner@civitasmedia.com

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090 or cwarner@civitasmedia.com.

Charles Warner can be reached at 864-762-4090 or cwarner@civitasmedia.com.

comments powered by Disqus