The Union County Young Republicans and The Union County Democratic Party have partnered to sponsor a series of debates featuring candidates for local offices in Union. The goal of these debates is to provide a forum for candidates to speak on the issues important to the people of Union, in a fair an impartial environment.
The dates and times for the debates are as follows:
• September 29, 2016 7 p.m. — Mayor and City Council candidates
• October 6, 2016 7 p.m. — Sheriff, Clerk of Court, County Council
• October 27, 2016 7 p.m. — House District 42
All debates will be held in the auditorium at USC Union. There will be no cost for those wishing to attend the debates, but seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Questions may be submitted in advanced by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be an opportunity to submit questions in writing before the debates begin. Submitting a question does not guarantee that it will be used in the debate. The debate committee will review all submitted questions and determine if they shall be used.
The Bi-Partisan debate committee is made up of three representatives of the Union County Young Republicans, and three representatives of the Union County Democratic Party.
September At The Arts Council
The following events/activities will take place at the Union County Arts Council in September.
• Corky Canvas — Corky Canvas is back! Ladies, grab your friends and your favorite drink and join us for an evening of fun!
Friday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. — $25 members/$30 non-members.
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Toddler Time — Friday, Sept. 23, 10:30-11:30 a.m. & 12:30-1:30 p.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger is invited to join us! $10.
• 2016 Art Exhibition — Join us Thursday, Sept. 22, for our Annual Art Exhibition. Artists from all over the state have filled the Main Building of USC-Union with their work. Our Juror, Dwight Rose, will be presenting awards and speaking briefly on the pieces.
The Art Exhibit will be held at the USC-Union Main Building at 6 p.m. with a reception following.
• Dreams of the Waking World — The artwork of Sheldon Bennett will hang in our Main Gallery until Sept. 19. This exhibit has a variety of technique, colors, and mediums.
PPG Hosting Workshops
The Piedmont Physic Garden will host these upcoming workshops:
• Saturday, Sept. 24, 10 am.-noon.”Herbalism” Workshop with Clinical Herbalist, Meredith Mizell of Red Fern Farm in Gray Court, SC. Cost is $20 for Non-members. Early Bird Special of $16 for those registering prior to Friday, Sept 9. To reserve your spot, please call us at 864-427-2556 or sign up online via our website www.piedmontphysicgarden.org.
• Saturday, Oct. 1, 10 a.m.-noon. “Plant Identification” Workshop with Dr. John Nelson, Curator of the Herbarium at the University of South Carolina and also a frequent guest on Clemson’s “Make it Grow!” SCETV series. Early Bird Special of $16 for registering prior to Friday Sept. 16. To reserve your spot, please call us at 864-427-2556 or sign on online via our new website www.piedmontphysicgarden.org.
Fall Charity Golf Classic
The Union County Health Care Foundation will hold its annual Fall Charity Golf Classic at Woodfin Ridge on Oct. 7. The event will be a Captain’s Choice Tournament. Persons wanting to participate must register to do so by Sept. 30. For more information contact Union County Health Care Foundation Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator Greta Bailey at 864-301-2466.
Monday, Sept. 26
6 p.m.: The UCDP will hold it monthly meeting in the City of Union Municipal Building, 101 Sharpe Avenue. The public is invited.
Saturday, Sept. 27
5 p.m.: The Sims High School Class of 1969 will have a cookout at the Post 22 building at Foster Park.
Please contact Mamie Gore for more information at 864-427-2119.
Lions Brooms for sale every Friday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, Union.
Alzheimer’s Support Group
The Alzheimer’s Support Group meets the first Tuesday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church at 5:30 p.m.
For more information contact Penny Adamo at 864-427-8322.
2016 Democratic Party Election Dates
October 8, Voter Registration Deadline, November General Election.
November 8, 7 a.m.-7 p.m., General Election.
Please volunteer and get involved in your local voting precincts and vote in all elections.
Contact: Ann Stevens, Union County Democratic Party Chair, 864-429-1108 (v/t)
Medi Home Hospice is sponsoring a Bereavement Program. Anyone who has lost a loved one and needs guidance with their loss is invited to attend.
The Bereavement Program will be held at the Medi Home Hospice office located at 720 Duncan Bypass, Suite C, Union, on the top floor of Austin Rehab.
Meetings will be every first Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
Facilitators are Rev. Richard Brown, Chaplain; Kanisha Benjamin, Social Worker.
For more information contact 864-426-7784.
2016 Union County Council Meetings
Second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m.
The meetings will be held in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 (Jonesville Town Hall)
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 (Election held on November 8, 2016)
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2016 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
September 26, 2016 — Buffalo Elementary School
October 10, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
October 24, 2016 — Foster Park Elementary School
November 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
November 28, 2016 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
December 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All meetings are at 7 p.m.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.