Rotarians Beth Belue and Lewis Jeter are Past Presidents 2013-2015 of the Union Rotary Club. Lewis Jeter handed the gavel over today to Union Rotary Club’s new president, Ben Loftis.
Friday, July 3
• The Buffalo Community will hold its annual Independence Day Celebration “The Party at the Pond” at 6 p.m. The event will feature live music and vendors, and it will finish with a spectacular fireworks display at dark. For more information, contact the Buffalo Festivals Committee at (864) 426-4457.
• Kelly-Kelton Fire Department will sell hash and barbecue — cooked and donated by Charles Farr and Tommy Sinclair — beginning at 10 a.m. at the fire department. The cost is $7 per pound, and everyone is encouraged to pre-order by calling (864) 674-1300 or (864) 426-0830.
Saturday, July 4
• The annual “Light Up the Lake” celebration will begin at 6 p.m. at Foster Park in Union, offering plenty of food, music and fellowship. Jukebox 45 will perform from 7-9 p.m., and fireworks will be shot after dark to conclude the evening. For more information, call (864) 426-3003.
Thursday, July 9
• Torrington/Timken Retirees meets at 6 p.m. at Midway BBQ.
Saturday, July 11
• The Carlisle Finishing Group, formerly Cone Mills, meets at 9 a.m. at Midway BBQ for breakfast. All retirees and former employees are welcome. We will have Amanda Knowles of Hospice Care South Carolina sing for the group. For more information call 466-5276.
Tuesday, July 14
• Lockhart Fire District will hold a special meeting at the Lockhart Town Hall for the purpose of discussing a tax millage increase for the district. The tax increase will be for the purchase of a new Class A pumper. All interested residents of the Lockhart Fire District are invited to attend.
Friends On Main Open Fridays
Great News! Friends on Main, 126 East Main Street, is open every Friday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Bring a box and shop!
Potters Storehouse 2015 Schedule
The Potters Storehouse will hold its 2015 food distributions on the following dates:
Wednesday, July 8
Wednesday, July 22
Wednesday, Aug. 12
Wednesday, Aug. 26
Wednesday, Sept. 9
Wednesday, Sept. 23
Wednesday, Oct. 14
Wednesday, Oct. 28
Wednesday, Nov. 11
Wednesday, Nov. 24
Wednesday, Dec. 9
Wednesday, Dec. 19
Distribution time for each event will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
In case of bad weather, snow or ice, The Potters Storehouse will follow the Union County School District schedule (delays/closings).
For more information call Pastor Don Moore at 864-680-3465.
Volunteers are needed.
The Jonesville Town Festival Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the festival which will take place on Sept. 19, 2015. Also, if there are any vendors that are interested in reserving booths, feel free to contact Randy Spencer at 864-426-2219 or Betsy Thompson at 674-6799. This is a community function. All are welcome. We will look forward to hearing from you.
The Jonesville High School Class of 1973 is planning their 43rd class reunion. If interested in attending contact Dianne West at 674-0994 or Barbara Baldwin at 429-1262 and leave a message.
• The Union Lions Club is collecting used/unwanted eyeglasses, hearing aids and cell phones. There is a collection box outside of the Lions Club building, located at 134 E. Main Street, Union. Donated items are refurbished and donated to those in need or sold for money that directly benefits those in need of hearing and vision services. Questions? Contact Lion Kelli Johnston at email@example.com.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts “Painting with Coffee” each Tuesday from 10 a.m.-noon at the UCAC gallery on Main Street in Union. Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.! During the month of May the group will focus on Plein Air Drawing with Sharon Thompson (Trips will be made to different locations.) Come join in and work on your art project while you enjoy spending time, and having coffee, with other like-minded artists. For more information call UCAC at 864-429-2817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Union County Arts Council hosts Corky Canvas every Friday at 6 p.m. Who needs a FUN night out? All you need are a few friends, a favorite drink, and we provide the rest! Our very talented teacher, Brandy Ketterman will help you create a masterpiece to take home! Each week we will have a different theme. $30 members/$35 non-members Please pre-register.
Items for Community Calendar can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Community Calendar, 100 Times Boulevard, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.