Relay For Life Team Meetings
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
All Team Meetings will be held at Tabernacle Baptist Church at 6:30 p.m. in the Family Life Center Family Room.
Union County Relay For Life Event will begin at 7 p.m. Friday, May 13, 2016 at the Union County Fairgrounds.
If you or your organization would like more information about UC Relay For Life, please contact Beth Lancaster (864-426-3438) or Torance Inman ( 864-426-0883).
Monday, Feb. 8
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union will meet at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter Street.
• Union American Legion Post 22 will be having its monthly meeting in its usual location, the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Veterans Memorial Park in Union. A meal will be served at 6 p.m., with the business meeting to follow at 7 p.m. Post 22 meets on the second Monday evening of the month, and prospective members are always welcome to attend.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. in Room 600 of the Union County Career and Technology Center. The following items will be on the agenda:
— 2016-2017 School Calendar
— Update on the Athletic Director/Head Football Coach and Superintendent positions
— AdvanceEd Update
— A field trip request involving a water activity and four overnight field trip requests.
— Policy CCA
— Personel Report
Tuesday, Feb. 9
• Union County Council will hold a public hearing at 5:15 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse to receive comments from the public concerning a proposed ordinance amending Division 3. — Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse of Article XI. — Boards, Commissions and similar entities of Chapter 2 — Administration of the Union County Code of Ordinances, in certain limited regards and particulars, only, and other matters pertaining thereto. The public is invited to attend and participate.
• The Union County Council will hold their regular monthly meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse. The public is invited to attend and any persons requiring special assistance to attend should contact the Supervisor’s Office 48 hours prior to the meeting.
The agenda includes
1. Consider appointments to Fair Board, Building Code Board of Appeals, Planning Commission and Development Board.
2. Sheriff David Taylor Discuss license for salesmen and panhandlers; and discuss jail agreement.
3. Scott Austin and Mike Lancaster — Discuss safety issues and concerns about 911 dispatchers.
4. Greta Bailey — Discuss Shag Night.
5. Grazier Rhea with Catawba Regional COG — Discuss Lockhart trails projects.
6. Discuss TAP — Union County tuition assistance program.
7. Steve Broadbent — Discuss regulations of junkyards.
Reports from elected officials and department heads.
Victim Assistance Services for Town of Jonesville
Rescare Workforce Services
Matching frnds for Flat Stack Trail — Phase I
Matching funds for Flat Stack Trail — Phase Il
FILOT for GESRFCYCLING USA, LLC (2nd Reading)
Bond Ordinance of Union County for Lockhart Fire District (2nd Reading)
Amendment to Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission Ordinance (3 1d Reading)
County Supervisor’s Report Call for Committee Reports.
Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter and a contractual matter related to county facilities.
• American Legion Post 87 meets at 7 p.m. in the Flats in Buffalo. All veterans are welcome.
Thursday, Feb. 11
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees will meet at 6 p.m. at Buffalo Seafood.
Saturday, Feb. 13
• The Cone Mill/Carlisle Finishing Group meets at 9 a.m. at Midway for breakfast. All retirees and former employees are welcome. For more information call 466-5276.
Thursday, Feb. 18
• The Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at 1:30 p.m. at Andy’s.
Wednesday, Feb. 24
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board of Directors will have their monthly meeting at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry Street. Lunch will be provided.
The scheduled meetings for the rest of 2016 are as follows:
— Wednesday, March 24
— Wednesday, April 27;
— Wednesday, May 25
— Wednesday, June 22
— Wednesday, August 24,
— Wednesday, September 28
— Wednesday, October 26
— Tuesday, November 22.
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artists join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.!
• Writers Group — Local Writers will meet Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 6 p.m. This is open to everyone!
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local, musical talent!
• Toddler Time — Friday, Feb. 26, 10:30-11:30 a.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger, is invited to join us for a morning full of fun art exploration! Each child must have a parent in attendance. Cost $10
• Mini Monet — Mardis Gras is coming to UCAC! Students will create their very own collage using nothing but beads! You must sign up for this class no later than Friday, Feb. 6, 2016. $15 members/$20 non-members.
• Corky Canvas — DATE NIGHT! Join us for a night of fun, friends, and painting! Each of you will paint your own canvas and when they are put togther it will form a complete piece! Grab your favorite drink and join us for a night out!!! $30 members/$35 non-members per couple.
• Tuesday Morning Painters Exhibit — Our Tuesday Morning Painting with Coffee Group has lined the walls of the UCAC Gallery with their work. Join us on Tuesday, Feb. 16, at 11 a.m. for a Brunch Reception.
Medi Home Hospice is sponsoring a Bereavement Program. Anyone who has lost a loved one and needs guidance with their loss is invited to attend.
The Bereavement Program will be held at the Medi Home Hospice office located at 720 Duncan Bypass, Suite C, Union, on the top floorof Austin Rehab.
Meetings will be every first Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
Facilitators are Rev. Richard Brown, Chaplain; Kanisha Benjamin, Social Worker.
For more information contact 864-426-7784.
2016 Union County Council Meetings
Second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m.
The meetings will be held in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse unless otherwise noted.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Tuesday, April 12, 2016 (Lockhart Town Hall)
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 (Primary held on June 14, 2016)
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Tuesday, August 9, 2016 (Carlisle Town Hall)
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 (Jonesville Town Hall)
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 (Election held on November 8, 2016)
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2016 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
February 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
February 22, 2016 — Sims Middle School
March 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Teacher of the Year Recognition)
March 28, 2016 — Union County High School
April 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
May 9, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
May 23, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 13, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 27, 2016 — Meet if budget has not been approved
July 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 22, 2016 — Monarch Elementary School
September 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
September 26, 2016 — Buffalo Elementary School
October 10, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
October 24, 2016 — Foster Park Elementary School
November 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
November 28, 2016 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
December 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All meetings are at 7 p.m.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
Anita Hart Maness and Ginnie Ponder have been selected to serve on the Momentum Scholarship Committee for Columbia College. They will be helping select fifteen Momentum Scholars who will be key members and leaders of the class of 2016. Five hundred nominations were received by the college, and a total of 100 will be interviewed. Both Mrs. Maness and Mrs. Ponder are graduates of Columbia College.