NAACP Holds King Day Celebration
The Union County Branch of the NAACP will hold their annual Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration on Monday, January 1 8, 2016 at Sims Middle School. The time of this celebration is 6 p.m.
The guest speaker will be Rev. Larry Black, the Senior Pastor New Salem Zion Baptist Church of Pacolet, SC.
The public is cordially invited.
The Rev. Dr. Michael A. Glenn is Branch President.
Southern BBQ Network
If you love BBQ then plan to join the Southern BBQ Network Saturday, January 23, 2016 to become a certified BBQ judge and a member.
We are holding a training class at the South Carolina Works Upstate office at 103 West Main Street, Union, S.C. Class starts at 10 a.m.-2 p.m. with lunch included. The class cost is $ 25 and the membership fee is $ 35.
Once you have completed the class you can judge events that the Southern BBQ Network sanctions throughout Georgia, North and South Carolina.
For more information or to register for the class visit our web site at http://www.sbbqn.com/ and click on the certification classes picture or contact Mike Wright at 843-425-4186.
• The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will be closed on Monday, January 18 in observance of the Martin Luther King Day state holiday.
Please remember that the days before and after a holiday are often extremely busy at DMV. Customers may want to choose another time to visit their local DMV office or process their transactions online at the agency website at www.scdmvonline.com
2016 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
January 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
February 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
February 22, 2016 — Sims Middle School
March 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Teacher of the Year Recognition)
March 28, 2016 — Union County High School
April 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
May 9, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
May 23, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 13, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
June 27, 2016 — Meet if budget has not been approved
July 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
August 22, 2016 — Monarch Elementary School
September 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
September 26, 2016 — Buffalo Elementary School
October 10, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
October 24, 2016 — Foster Park Elementary School
November 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
November 28, 2016 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
December 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All meetings are at 7 p.m.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
Thursday, Jan. 14
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees will meet at Andy’s at 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 19
• The Woodmen of the World meet at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park.
Monday, Jan. 25
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 5:45 p.m., 201 Porter Street. The meeting is open to the public.
Tuesday, Feb. 2
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will meet at 6 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and program begins at 6:30 p.m.
We will have a presentation on the Flow Hive. You may have seen the youtube video on this fascinating new concept.
We will be ordering packaged bees from York County Beekeepers. Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Friends Of The Library
• The Friends of the Library will hold its Annual Meeting on Feb. 21 at 3 p.m. We are seeking Union County published writers of all genres to participate in the program. If you would like to read from your work and briefly explain your publishing process, please call 864-466-5152 by Feb. 1. We can also set up areas for you to sell your work.
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artist join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
Former Arkansas governor and Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee (left) will hold a campaign rally with fellow Republican and SC House District 42 candidate Tommy Mann this evening at 7 p.m. at First Baptist Church in Union.