2016 Union County School Board Meeting Dates
1. January 11, 2016 — Lockhart School
2. January 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
3. February 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
4. February 22, 2016 — Sims Middle School
5. March 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
(Teacher of the Year Recognition)
6. March 28, 2016 — Union County High School
7. April 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Academic Recognition)
8. May 9, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center (Retiree Banquet)
9. May 23, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
10. June 13, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
11. June 27, 2016 — Meet if budget has not been approved
12. July 25, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
13. August 8, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
14. August 22, 2016 — Monarch Elementary School
15. September 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
16. September 26, 2016 — Buffalo Elementary School
17. October 10, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
18. October 24, 2016 — Foster Park Elementary School
19. November 14, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
20. November 28, 2016 — Jonesville Elementary Middle School
21. December 12, 2016 — Union County Career and Technology Center
All meetings are at 7 p.m.
The public and media will be notified if location or times change 24 hours prior to meetings.
Monday, Jan. 11
• The Commissioners of the Housing Authority of Union will meet at 5:30 p.m. at 201 Porter Street.
• Union American Legion Post 22 will be having its monthly meeting. The meeting will be held in its usual location, the Legion Hut at 120 Scenic Drive in Veterans Memorial Park in Union. A meal will be served at 6 p.m., with the business meeting to follow at 7 p.m. Post 22 meets on the second Monday evening of the month, and prospective members are always welcome to attend.
Tuesday, Jan. 12
• The Union County Council will hold their regular monthly meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse.
The public is invited and any persons requiring special assistance to attend should contact the Supervisor’s Office 48 hours prior to the meeting.
• The first Relay For Life meeting for 2016 is at 6:30 p.m. at Tabernacle Baptist Church Family Life Center. All Relay teams are invited and anyone wanting to start a team!
For more information contact Torance Inman 864-426-0883 or Beth Lancaster 864-426-3438.
Thursday, Jan. 14
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees will meet at Andy’s at 6 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 25
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 5:45 p.m., 201 Porter Street. The meeting is open to the public.
Friends Of The Library
• The Friends of the Library will hold its Annual Meeting on Feb. 21 at 3 p.m. We are seeking Union County published writers of all genres to participate in the program. If you would like to read from your work and briefly explain your publishing process, please call 864-466-5152 by Feb. 1. We can also set up areas for you to sell your work.
Southern BBQ Network
If you love BBQ then plan to join the Southern BBQ Network Saturday, January 23, 2016 to become a certified BBQ judge and a member.
We are holding a training class at the South Carolina Works Upstate office at 103 West Main Street, Union, S.C. Class starts at 10 a.m.-2 p.m. with lunch included. The class cost is $ 25 and the membership fee is $ 35.
Once you have completed the class you can judge events that the Southern BBQ Network sanctions throughout Georgia, North and South Carolina.
For more information or to register for the class visit our web site at http://www.sbbqn.com/ and click on the certification classes picture or contact Mike Wright at 843-425-4186.
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artist join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
Professional Development No-Fee Workshop
The Department of Fine Arts at Winthrop University will offer an Arts and Technology Professional Development No-Fee Workshop beginning in January.
The focus of this training will be on the use of the iPad, creative apps and other related technologies, and will demonstrate the interrelationship of traditional and digital media, practical classroom logistics for using technology, and other relevant issues. This course will launch in January 2016 and will be offered to a group of 25 teachers who will take the course at Winthrop University for teacher re-certification credit. Fine Arts and Art Education professors will teach this pilot course. The new content developed for this course will build upon the 2014 Research Council Grant used to create an arts instructional website for using the iPad, Winthrop Fine Arts Tech or www.winthropfineartstech.com.
Winthrop University Fine Arts Department
• Seth Rouser firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mark Hamilton email@example.com
• Laura Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org
• January 22 & 23 Friday 6-8:30 pm & Saturday 9 am- 12 pm & 1:00-4:00 pm
• January 29 & 30 Friday 6-8:30 pm & Saturday 9 am- 12 pm & 1:00-4:00 pm
• April 9 Saturday 9 am- 12 pm & 1:00-4:00 pm
Winthrop University Fine Arts Department — Rutledge Hall Room 126
Registration Deadline January 15.
To register, please send email with your name, teaching level and school district to email@example.com. First 25 to register will be included on the list.
The workshop is a free service to educators and is offered with support of grants from the South Carolina Arts Commission and the Winthrop Research Council.
Casey Wright, BSW, Union County Domestic Violence Victim Advocate for Safe Homes Rape Crisis Coalition, recently addressed the Union Civitan Club. Persons who need the organization’s help can call the office at 864-706-5818 or toll free at 1-800-273-5066. Wright is pictured with Civitan Club President Modest Keenan.