Medicine Bottles For Malawi
The Union Civitan Club is collecting medicine bottles to send to Malawi after the first of the year.
A press release announcing the club’s effort states that “while first world nations throw away perfectly good medicine bottles, medical pharmacies and hospital facilities in Malawi often find themselves with nothing except torn pieces of paper in which to wrap medicine for their patients. This is often seen in rural hospitals and villages where the poorest of the nation try to live and survive. Sending these containers will help families in a third world country keep their medicines clean, out of reach of small children, and safe while they are being used.”
Those wanting to help the Civitans in this efforts are asked to “place your old, unused medicine bottles in boiling water until you are able to easily remove the labels, and the glue. Between now and Christmas Day, box or bag your bottles and drop them off at WBCU Radio Station, The Union Daily Times Office, Modest Keenan’s Barber Shop, Twist and Shout or Dr. Gary Horvath’s Orthodontist Office in Union or Spartanburg.”
For more about the Civitans and their efforts to collect medicine bottles for Malawi see upcoming editions of The Union Daily Times and online at www.uniondailytimes.com.
Thursday, Dec. 17
• The Union Dixie Girls Softball Board Election will be held at 6 p.m. at the Union County Recreation Department.
Saturday, Dec. 19
• The Union County Booster Club will open the apparel trailer at the Union County Stadium from 2-4 p.m. for anyone wanting to purchase Christmas gifts.
Sunday, Dec. 20
• The 4th Quarter Meeting for the Union County Historical Society will be held at 3 p.m. at the Union County Museum in the meeting room. All members please bring your favorite finger food as we will have a Christmas Social.
Monday, Dec. 21 & Tuesday, Dec. 22
• The Union Medical Center Volunteers will have a $5 Jewelry & Accessories Sale in the hospital lobby on Monday, Dec. 21 from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and Tuesday, Dec. 22 from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Come by for some amazing deals and finish up that last minute Christmas shopping!
Tuesday, Jan. 5
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will meet at 6 p.m. in the Clemson Extension Meeting Room at the fairgrounds.
Light refreshments are served at 6 p.m. and the program begins at 6:30 p.m.
David McFawn, Master Beekeeper, will present a program on Pollination. He is the author of Getting the Best From Your Bees. Autographed copies of his book will be available for purchase.
Everyone interested in bees is encouraged to attend.
Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to people of all ages, regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status and is an equal opportunity employer.
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artist join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us December 21 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local musical talent!
• Toddler Time — Friday, December 18, 10:30-11:30 a.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger, is invited to join us for a morning full of fun art exploration! Each child must have a parent in attendance. Cost is $10.
• Mini Monet — HO! HO ! HO! Merry Christmas! Join us Saturday, December 19, 9-11 a.m. The kids will be creating cookie plates for Santa and their very own Candy House! Space is limited! Register today! $15 member/ $20 nonmember.
Mrs. Carroll’s class at Sims Middle School participated in the Bowling event of Special Olympics on November 4 at Star Lanes in Spartanburg. The students won ribbons for their skills in bowling. Pictured left to right are Nathaniel Clark, Shiana Falls, Helesha Porter, Chandler Austin, Austyn English, Connor Mulligan, and Kyle Hudson.