Medicine Bottles For Malawi
The Union Civitan Club is collecting medicine bottles to send to Malawi after the first of the year.
A press release announcing the club’s effort states that “while first world nations throw away perfectly good medicine bottles, medical pharmacies and hospital facilities in Malawi often find themselves with nothing except torn pieces of paper in which to wrap medicine for their patients. This is often seen in rural hospitals and villages where the poorest of the nation try to live and survive. Sending these containers will help families in a third world country keep their medicines clean, out of reach of small children, and safe while they are being used.”
Those wanting to help the Civitans in this efforts are asked to “place your old, unused medicine bottles in boiling water until you are able to easily remove the labels, and the glue. Between now and Christmas Day, box or bag your bottles and drop them off at WBCU Radio Station, The Union Daily Times Office, Modest Keenan’s Barber Shop, Twist and Shout or Dr. Gary Horvath’s Orthodontist Office in Union or Spartanburg.”
For more about the Civitans and their efforts to collect medicine bottles for Malawi see upcoming editions of The Union Daily Times and online at www.uniondailytimes.com.
Thursday, Dec. 10
• The Torrington/Timken Retirees meet at 6 p.m. at Midway BBQ.
Saturday, Dec. 12
• The Union County Alzheimer’s Support Group will host the first countywide Alzheimer’s Walk which will begin at 11:30 a.m. in the Grace United Methodist Church parking lot. The walk will begin at the church and continue to the Union County Courthouse and back to Grace United Methodist Church.
Thursday, Dec. 17
• The Union Dixie Girls Softball Board Election will be held at 6 p.m. at the Union County Recreation Department.
Saturday, Dec. 19
• The Union County Booster Club will open the apparel trailer at the Union County Stadium from 2-4 p.m. for anyone wanting to purchase Christmas gifts.
Monday, Dec. 21 & Tuesday, Dec. 22
• The Union Medical Center Volunteers will have a $5 Jewelry & Accessories Sale in the hospital lobby on Monday, Dec. 21 from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and Tuesday, Dec. 22 from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Come by for some amazing deals and finish up that last minute Christmas shopping!
Union County Arts Council
• Painting with Coffee — Whether you are a beginner, or a lifelong artist join us every Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.
• Monday Night Music — Looking for something new to do? Join us December 21 at 6:30 p.m. for a night full of local musical talent!
• Toddler Time — Friday, December 18, 10:30-11:30 a.m. will be all about the little ones! Any child 4 years old or younger, is invited to join us for a morning full of fun art exploration! Each child must have a parent in attendance. Cost is $10.
• Mini Monet — HO! HO ! HO! Merry Christmas! Join us Saturday, December 19, 9-11 a.m. The kids will be creating cookie plates for Santa and their very own Candy House! Space is limited! Register today! $15 member/ $20 nonmember
• Corky Canvas — Do you need a break from the Holiday craziness? Join us December 11! Brandi Ketterman will walk you through, step by step, how to create a mantle worthy piece of art! Call and reserve a spot! 6 p.m. $30 members/ $35 nonmembers.