SPARTANBURG — Savor the tastes of Italy by serving individual pita pizzas loaded with fresh vegetables, melted cheese, and a cider vinegar sauce. It’s a one-dish meal that’s sure to please.
4 servings (serving size: 1 topped pita)
• 4 (7-inche) pitas
• 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
• 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
• 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
• 4 cups packaged gourmet salad greens
Preheat over to 475°.
Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread 1/2 teaspoon garlic on each pita. Sprinkle each pit with 1/4 cup cheese, and divide onion evenly among pitas. Back at 475° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is bubbly.
While pitas bake, combine vinegar, oil, and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and basil. Add salad greens, and toss gently to coat.
Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each pita with about 1 cup salad. Serve immediately.
The information for this story was was taken from Cooking Light May 2004 and submitted by the Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System.