Trailer gutted by fire

Charles Warner Editor

October 29, 2013

JONESVILLE — What may have been an attempt to use a stove as a source of heat ended in a fire that gutted part of a trailer.

The Jonesville, Kelly-Kelton, and Bonham fire departments were dispatched shortly after 8:30 a.m. Friday to 228 Shady St., Jonesville in response to a report of a fire.

Jonesville Deputy Chief Jimmy Wilkins said that the fire was called in by a passing motorist who saw smoke coming out of the trailer. Wilkins said that firefighters were on the scene for a little over an hour and were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Even though they were able to put out the fire quickly, Wilkins said the trailer was a total loss.

Wilkins said no one was at home when the fire started and their were no injuries. He said the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen.

“It started around a cook stove,” Wilkins said Monday. “The resident said she had left to get some kerosene for her heater. So we’re wondering if the stove had been left on and the door open to heat the trailer.”

Wilkins said the fire gutted the kitchen which he said was in the center of the trailer. He said rest of the trailer was damaged by the heat and smoke.

Editor Charles Warner can be reached at 864-427-1234, ext. 14, or by email at cwarner@civitasmedia.com