Charles Warner Editor
September 29, 2013
UNION COUNTY — The Salvation Army will be registering needy families with children ages 12 and under for its Angel Tree Christmas Assistance Program beginning Monday.
Salvation Army Caseworker Dawn Knox said that the program provides children of needy families with Christmas gift of toys and clothing. Knox said families who meet the financial requirementof the program and whose children are in the right age category will be able sign up throughout week.
“It is our version of the Secret Santa,” Knox said. “People come in and they’ll do the applications next week for children 12 and under and it is based on need. After those forms are filled out I will be contacting sponsors such as Sonoco. At that time they get the little card we call angels. It has the child’s wish list. Then they buy the stuff and return it to us and we have distribution on Dec. 19.”
Knox said the program provides the children with all types of gifts except bicycles.
Registration will be held at following dates, times and locations:
• Monday, Sept. 30 from 1-3 p.m. at the Jonesville Municipal Complex
• Tuesday, Oct. 1 and Thursday, Oct. 3 from 1-3 p.m. at The Salvation Army Social Service Center
• Wednesday, Oct. 2 from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the Lockhart Town Hall
• Friday, Oct. 4 from 1-3 p.m. at the Carlisle Town Hall.
Requirements For Eligibility
• Verification of household members (food stamp or Medicaid printout)
• Verification of residency (Union identification card, update mail, or current utility bill)
• Verification of need (food stamp printout, Medicaid card, or proof of income from the last 30 days)
• Verification of child’s date of birth (Medicaid card, birth certificate, or school identification)
Children receiving Angel Tree assistance must have been born on or after Nov. 1, 2001. Children assisted are 12 years old and younger.
For more information contact Dawn Knox at 864-427-9622.