September 24, 2013
Tuesday, Sept. 24
• Union City Council meets at 9 a.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to discuss contractual matters.
• The Union County Council Committee on County Administration and Finance meets at 5 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse to discuss stadium athletic facilities, the Buffalo Community Center, the Farmers Market, and other administrative and financial matters. The public is invited to attend.
• Union County Council holds a special meeting immediately following the meeting of the Committee on County Administration and Finance in the Grand Jury Room at the Union County Courthouse to receive committee reports, discuss the loan with Santee Cooper, and discuss other matters. The public is invited to attend.
• The Union County Senior Citizens meet at 6 p.m. at the Mon Aetna Church Social Hall. It will be a covered dish meal. Heath Walker will be singing.
• The Town of Lockhart meets at 7 p.m. in the Lockhart Town Hall.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board of Directors holds their monthly meeting at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry St. Lunch will be provided.
• The Board of Trustees and the Finance Committee of the Union Hospital District holds their joint meeting at 6 p.m. in the Board Room of Wallace Thomson Hospital.
Thursday, Sept. 26
• UCAC’s 2013 Juried Art Show Reception & Awards Presentations will be held today from 5:30-7:30 at USC-Union’s Main Bldg. Refreshments will be served and the public is invited to attend. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Friday Sept. 27 - Saturday, Sept. 28
• The Union County Arts Council presents an oil painting workshop led by Diarmuid Kelly. “Draw It, Paint It – An Introduction to Oils” will give each participant experience in starting a portrait, composition, underpainting and other techniques with oil paints. The cost of the workshop is $150 and lunch will be provided both days. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, Sept. 28
• The Thomas Jefferson Vinson 26th Annual Family Reunion will be held at 1 p.m. at Brown’s Creek Baptist Family Life Center. We will be having a cover dish style meal therefore we are asking everyone to bring a well-filled basket including drinks and desserts to share.
Monday, Sept. 30
• Carlisle Town Council meets in regular session at 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 1
• The Union County Beekeepers meets at 7 p.m. in the classroom at Clemson Extension. Anyone interested in beekeeping is invited to attend. If you have questions, you can call Jim Stevens at 426-4344 or Bart Woodard at 429-1388.
Sunday, Oct. 6
• The Jolly Reunion will be held at Tabernacle Baptist Church at 1 p.m. Everyone is asked to bring a well-filled basket.
Monday, Oct. 7
• The Union County First Steps Partnership Board holds its regular meeting at 5:15 p.m. at the Union County School District Office Annex located at 120 Lakeside Drive, Union. The public is invited to attend. Anyone wishing to attend who requires special assistance due to a disability is encouraged to contact Ms. Beth Thompson, Executive Director, at 864-429-1748, ext. 306, prior to the start of the meeting.
• A Buffalo Community Meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at the Buffalo Community Center. Anyone interested in being on the board of the community center or helping out or who has questions is encouraged to attend. For more information contact Tommy Ford at 426-8032.
Saturday, Oct. 26
• The Union High School Class of 1993 holds its 20th reunion at 7 p.m. at River Chase Golf Club. Contact Mary Martin at email@example.com or 919-986-0163 for more details.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• “A Path of Discovery with Watercolor” – New works by Union watercolorist Betsy Skipper are on display at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. Show runs through Aug. 9.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.