September 20, 2013
Saturday, Sept. 21
• Betsy and Company presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. There will be an 8:30 a.m. pickup at the Jonesville, Municipal Building and a 9 a.m. pickup in Union at the Old Walmart Parking Lot. Proceeds will go for the Relay-For-Life. For information call Betsy at 864-674-6799.
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will display an observation hive with live bees at the Farm Show from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Union County Fairground. Information about beekeeping will be available. Products of the hive including honey, soap and candles will be for sale. A raffle will be held for a box full of bee goodies. Bring the whole family and learn about beekeeping!
• The hours the Union County Museum will be open to the public will change to 1-4 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 22
• The Union County Historical Society holds its Quarterly Meeting at 3 p.m. in the Union County Museum meeting room. As usual, the back door will be open for those wishing to avoid the stairs.The speaker will be Dr. Rodger Stroup, Director of the S.C. Railroad Museum. Dr. Stroup is well known for his leadership and years of experience working in the state at the SC State Museum and as the previous Director of the SC Dept. of Archives & History. His presentation will be on the history of South Carolina Railroading.
• The Union High Class of 1974 meets at 3:30 p.m. in the Upstairs Conference Room in the City of Union Municipal Building. For more information call 426-2174.
• The Sims High Class of 1964 meets at 5 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building. This will be a class reunion meeting. John H. Jeter, president.
• The Class of 1963 of Sims High School meeting at 5 p.m. at New Horizon Christian Church, Union. All committee members are asked to be present. For more information contact Leslie Garner or Wade Hampton.
Monday, Sept. 23
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 6 p.m., at 103 E. Main St. The meeting is open to the public.
• The Union County Board of School Trustees meets at 7 p.m. in the cafeteria at Buffalo Elementary School.
Tuesday, Sept. 24
• The Union County Senior Citizens meet at 6 p.m. at the Mon Aetna Church Social Hall. It will be a covered dish meal. Heath Walker will be singing.
• The Town of Lockhart meets at 7 p.m. in the Lockhart Town Hall.
Wednesday, Sept. 25
• The Union County Disabilities and Special Needs Board of Directors holds their monthly meeting at noon. The meeting will be held at 226 S. Gadberry St. Lunch will be provided.
Thursday, Sept. 26
• UCAC’s 2013 Juried Art Show Reception & Awards Presentations will be held today from 5:30-7:30 at USC-Union’s Main Bldg. Refreshments will be served and the public is invited to attend. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Friday Sept. 27 - Saturday, Sept. 28
• The Union County Arts Council presents an oil painting workshop led by Diarmuid Kelly. “Draw It, Paint It – An Introduction to Oils” will give each participant experience in starting a portrait, composition, underpainting and other techniques with oil paints. The cost of the workshop is $150 and lunch will be provided both days. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Saturday, Sept. 28
• The Thomas Jefferson Vinson 26th Annual Family Reunion will be held at 1 p.m. at Brown’s Creek Baptist Family Life Center. We will be having a cover dish style meal therefore we are asking everyone to bring a well-filled basket including drinks and desserts to share.
Tuesday, Oct. 1
• The Union County Beekeepers meets at 7 p.m. in the classroom at Clemson Extension. Anyone interested in beekeeping is invited to attend. If you have questions, you can call Jim Stevens at 426-4344 or Bart Woodard at 429-1388.
Sunday, Oct. 6
• The Jolly Reunion will be held at Tabernacle Baptist Church at 1 p.m. Everyone is asked to bring a well-filled basket.
Monday, Oct. 7
• The Union County First Steps Partnership Board holds its regular meeting at 5:15 p.m. at the Union County School District Office Annex located at 120 Lakeside Drive, Union. The public is invited to attend. Anyone wishing to attend who requires special assistance due to a disability is encouraged to contact Ms. Beth Thompson, Executive Director, at 864-429-1748, ext. 306, prior to the start of the meeting.
Saturday, Oct. 26
• The Union High School Class of 1993 holds its 20th reunion at 7 p.m. at River Chase Golf Club. Contact Mary Martin at email@example.com or 919-986-0163 for more details.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• “A Path of Discovery with Watercolor” – New works by Union watercolorist Betsy Skipper are on display at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. Show runs through Aug. 9.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.