September 17, 2013
Tuesday, Sept. 17
• The Woodmen of the World meets at 6 p.m. at Woodmen Park.
• Union City Council holds a public hearing at 6 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building to solicit public comments in connection with the temporary sign regulations.
• Union City Council holds its regular monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the City of Union Municipal Building.
Wednesday, Sept. 18
• The Union County Council Committee on Public Health and Social Services meets at 6 p.m. in the Conference Room of Wallace Thomson Hospital to discuss contractual issues pertaining to the Union County Hospital District. The public is invited.
Thursday, Sept. 19
• Good Neighbors Garden Club meets at Andy’s at 1:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 21
• Betsy and Company presents a one day trip to Harrah’s Cherokee Casino. There will be an 8:30 a.m. pickup at the Jonesville, Municipal Building and a 9 a.m. pickup in Union at the Old Walmart Parking Lot. Proceeds will go for the Relay-For-Life. For information call Betsy at 864-674-6799.
• The Union County Beekeepers Association will display an observation hive with live bees at the Farm Show from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Union County Fairground. Information about beekeeping will be available. Products of the hive including honey, soap and candles will be for sale. A raffle will be held for a box full of bee goodies. Bring the whole family and learn about beekeeping!
Sunday, Sept. 22
• The Union County Historical Society holds its Quarterly Meeting at 3 p.m. in the Union County Museum meeting room. As usual, the back door will be open for those wishing to avoid the stairs.The speaker will be Dr. Rodger Stroup, Director of the S.C. Railroad Museum. Dr. Stroup is well known for his leadership and years of experience working in the state at the SC State Museum and as the previous Director of the SC Dept. of Archives & History. His presentation will be on the history of South Carolina Railroading.
Monday, Sept. 23
• The Union County Democratic Party meets at 6 p.m., at 103 E. Main St. The meeting is open to the public.
Thursday, Sept. 26
• UCAC’s 2013 Juried Art Show Reception & Awards Presentations will be held today from 5:30-7:30 at USC-Union’s Main Bldg. Refreshments will be served and the public is invited to attend. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Friday Sept. 27 - Saturday, Sept. 28
• The Union County Arts Council presents an oil painting workshop led by Diarmuid Kelly. “Draw It, Paint It – An Introduction to Oils” will give each participant experience in starting a portrait, composition, underpainting and other techniques with oil paints. The cost of the workshop is $150 and lunch will be provided both days. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
Tuesday, Oct. 1
• The Union County Beekeepers meets at 7 p.m. in the classroom at Clemson Extension. Anyone interested in beekeeping is invited to attend. If you have questions, you can call Jim Stevens at 426-4344 or Bart Woodard at 429-1388.
Sunday, Oct. 6
• The Jolly Reunion will be held at Tabernacle Baptist Church at 1 p.m. Everyone is asked to bring a well-filled basket.
Saturday, Oct. 26
• The Union High School Class of 1993 holds its 20th reunion at 7 p.m. at River Chase Golf Club. Contact Mary Martin at email@example.com or 919-986-0163 for more details.
• “Painting with Coffee” meets from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday at the Union County Arts Council’s Gallery on Main Street in Union. Any artist working in any medium can attend this informal group of like-minded artists. Call UCAC at 864-429-2817 for more information.
• “A Path of Discovery with Watercolor” – New works by Union watercolorist Betsy Skipper are on display at the Union County Arts Council’s gallery on Main Street in Union. Show runs through Aug. 9.
• Union County Council holds its regular monthly meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Jury Room of the Union County Courthouse. The dates for the 2013 meetings are Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10.
Items for Out & About can be submitted to The Union Daily Times by email to UDTnews@civitasmedia.com, by fax to 864-427-1237, by mail to Out & About, PO Drawer 749, Union, S.C. 29379 or in person at our office, 100 Times Boulevard in Union. Items will run on a space available basis.